Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Cucumber Pickles

 I harvested the last of the cucumbers and used two different recipes to make sweet pickles and sour dill pickles....
cucumber glut to be processed


 
The first recipe was this one for sweet dill pickles. I do these as slices and they are very popular with Little Flower who will pop a jar and eat the whole lot  while doing her homework....better than sweets I s'pose!
 
Little Flower's pickled Qs
 
250 ml white wine vinegar
salt
1 dessert spoon of mustard seed
1 dessert spoon  of dried dill
130 g ordinary white sugar
250 g sliced onions
450 g sliced cucumber.
 
Put the sliced onions and cucumbers in a bowl and layer with salt.
Leave for four to eight hours, rinse well, strain and turn out onto a clean tea towel to absorb any excess water.
Put all the other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 5 minutes before adding the cucumber and onions....allow to come to the boil again and immediately spoon into hot, sterilised jars and seal with vinegar proof lids.
 
Leave for at least six weeks before scoffing.
 
 
 
My mum prefers sour pickles. They're not easy to find in the shops but I found this recipe online by the wonderful Delia Smith.
 
 
I left the onions out (mum doesn't like them) and I only had dried dill available but apart from that I stayed true to Delia's recipe.
Now I just have to wait THREE MONTHS to try them and tell you how they taste!
 
Dill pickles
 



No comments: